Saturday, August 25, 2012

Elastic Hair Ties

My girls love hair accessories.  They come by it naturally.   Much like makeup, I've rarely met a hair clip I didn't have to have.   It came as no surprise when we were back to school shopping that half of the purchases were for sweet head bands, darling barrettes and spools of ribbon.   But it all came to a screeching stop when at Nordies my oldest spotted ribbon hair ties made by emi-jay .  First of all, they're really darling, second they are so overpriced ($11.99 for 5).  I could make those...it's just elastic.  I could make lots of those for far less then $12!



I set out to find a resource, and I found loads of them!  
http://www.sunshineshoppesupply.com/Stretch_Elastic_and_Trim_s/1832.htm   This is the company I purchased from.  I got 8 yards for $3.50, and paid $3 in shipping and handling.  

Here are some other great choices:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElasticByTheYard?ref=seller_info

http://www.etsy.com/listing/99087010/10-yards-58-and-12-fold-over-elastic?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=5%2F8+fold+over+elastic+by+the+yard&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

One yard should yield 3 large, or 3 medium and 1 small tie.

I made 3 medium from each yard and then the one little one, it'll be perfect for a little pony.
1. You'll want to get 5/8 inch fold over elastic. 

2. Cut into 10 inch strips (I put /dritz-fray-check- on the ends of the elastic, but you don't have too)

3. Fold in half and tie end into an overhand knot (pulling the long end through)

4. Viola! Your done! My eight yards made 32 bands...32 bands for $7.00! 

I'm off to order more elastic, this is addicting.  It took me less then 20 minutes to make these.

No comments:

Post a Comment